What do you do when your mom “rescues” two cases of enormous zucchini and insists you take home a box along with all the zucchini bread she has been baking?
Every few weeks, my mom visits Market on the Move for veggies. It is a great local organization in Arizona; for a $10 donation, you get to pick up tons of fresh, seasonal produce and your money goes towards feeding hungry families in the valley. You can grab up to 60 lbs, which is truly a lot, so it is encouraged to share with your family and community. Sounds great, right? You can check them out here if you are interested.
So, while my mom is off perfecting her 50th loaf of zucchini bread for her neighbors, I decided to sauté mine with ginger turkey meatballs in a sweet hoisin soy sauce.
These little turkey meatballs pack a ginger-garlic punch with chili paste for some heat. They get a caramelized crust on the outside and stay super juicy on the inside.
The meatballs, zucchini, and peppers get glazed in a sweet soy and hoisin sauce. Add some brown rice and you have a filling meal that tastes better than take out.
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch knob of ginger, minced
- 3 green onions, white bottoms minced and greens chopped
- 10oz ground turkey
- 4 Tbsp hoisin sauce, divided
- 4 Tbsp black soy sauce (glaze), divided
- 2 Tbsp chili paste
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large zucchini, diced
- handful of tinkerbell peppers or 1 bell pepper, sliced
- Cook rice according to directions, set aside
- Over medium-high heat, sauté the minced ginger, garlic, and white bottoms of green onions in a Tbsp of oil until fragrant, about 1 min. Add to a large bowl with ground turkey along with 1 Tbsp black soy glaze, 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce, and 2 Tbsp chili paste. Mix with hands until well incorporated, then mix in breadcrumbs. Roll into small balls (they will be slightly loose).
- Over med-high heat, coat the bottom of the pan with oil and cook turkey meatballs until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes, remove meatballs and set aside.
- Add zucchini to the pan and sauté for 1 min until golden. Return the meatballs to the pan along with the peppers, ⅓ cup of water, and remaining soy glaze and hoisin sauce. Cook until sauce thickens and turkey meatballs are cooked through, about 5 mins.
- Serve over brown rice topped with remaining green onion.