I love football season. There is nothing more fun than jumping up and down, screaming (and a maybe a little crying), and stuffing your face with plates of cheesy, meaty finger foods. Oh and beer, lots and lots of cold beer… especially when your home team is nicknamed the Cardiac Cards. Grapefruit Sculpin anyone?
If you find jalapeños too mild, like K who orders Thai hot x 10 when we go out, you could add some Serrano peppers for more heat. I used a small food processor to blend up the pepper cheese mixture. I have a natural gift for getting hot pepper juice in my eyes and didn’t want to risk it; my mom has a great story about her darling daughter rubbing her eyes with jalapeños fingers at a Mexican restaurant (I don’t think we ever went back).
If feeling less indulgent, coat the BBQ chicken pieces with panko breadcrumbs instead of wrapping them with bacon; the breadcrumbs will keep the cheese from oozing out while baking.
- 2 jalapeño peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp cream cheese
- 2 chicken breasts, pounded to ½ inch thickness
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 16 pieces of bacon, depending on number of bites
- maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Mix peppers, cheddar, and cream cheese until smooth, set aside.
- Spread cheese and pepper mixture evenly on top of chicken breast. Firmly roll the chicken into a log; if needed, use toothpicks to secure if things are getting messy.
- Carefully slice chicken into bite-size pinwheels, roughly 8 pieces per chicken breast. Coat each piece with BBQ sauce.
- Wrap each BBQ chicken bite with a piece of bacon, covering the exposed cheese mixture as best as you can. Tuck in the ends of the bacon to prevent unraveling.
- Place onto a baking rack on top of a foil lined baking sheet and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Bake 15 mins, rotate and bake another 15 mins.